A new hearing in the case of former Prime Minister Vlad Filat was put off. According to the defense, the former Premier became sick and could not appear before the judges. Therefore, the hearing scheduled for February 2 was postponed, IPN reports.
Lawyer Igor Popa said the ex-Premier suffers from chronic otitis. “We received a conclusion from doctors from the penitentiary, which says that Vlad Filat suffers from chronic otitis and cannot take part in the hearing,” he stated, noting that at this stage the trial in the absence of the defendant is not possible.
The lawyer also said that Vlad Filat benefits from medical assistance and receives treatment. The next hearing was set for February 17, 10:30am.
The case of Vlad Filat was sent to court on December 23, 2015. Three hearings have been postponed so far - two at the request of the defense and one because it coincided with the examination of an appeal at the Appeals Court.
Vlad Filat was arrested last October on charges of influence peddling and passive corruption. He is accused of taking 800 million lei bribe and faces 7 to 15 years behind bars and ban on holding particular public posts.