The Chisinau Appeals Court rejected the prosecutors’ appeal against the decision to set the leader of the “Our Party” (PPPN) Renato Usatyi free from arrest, IPN reports.
Before the hearing, Renato Usatyi said that he anticipates a positive result. “If there had been evidence, I could have been arrested. But, given that there are no proofs, I expect the result to be positive,” he stated.
In front of the Appeals Court, dozens of supporters of Renato Usatyi mounted a demonstration in support of the leader of the PPPN. They chanted “Renato, we are near you!”. “What’s happening to me is real circus. I don’t know who orchestrated it, but I realize that it was staged with the aim of denigrating me,” said Usatyi, noting he possesses information about other politicians and will make it public soon.
The prosecutor who dealt with the case said the Prosecutor’s Office makes use of all the legal instruments available to investigate this case further so as to establish all the circumstances.
Renato Usatyi was arrested at the Chisinau International Airport, upon his return from Russia, on October 23. He is suspected of organizing the illegal wiretapping of telephone conversations between ex-Premier Vlad Filat and current mayor of Orhei Ilan Shor. Usatyi was released from arrest by the Centru Court on October 25. The court rejected the prosecutor’s request to place him under arrest for 30 days.